Use Visibility filter without having user make a choice

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:51 AM

Hi,

I would like to show web parts based on the users title.

Consultant would see the consultants web parts and Managers would see theirs.

I don't want the user to have to choose anything to make it happen.

When I set up the filters to use the title field of a list it doesn't work unlees I select one of the list items.

How do I set your filters to fire withour user action?

Thanks

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM

How are you determining the user's title?  Is it coming from a list view web part acting as a filter?  I'm not sure if that will send the value without a user action.  Could you get the user's title from their profile?

Give some details about what web parts you have on your page, and what order they are in on the page (that matters also).

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:19 AM

Thanks for the help.

I originally wanted it to read data from a list column and show web parts but soon discovered there were too many moving parts.

I now have it working with a data view and am forcing the user to make a choice. That fires all the web parts.

I was looking at your solution as a way of creating a redirect. A workaround.

My problem is I have consultants that need to get to a work page and managers that need to get to a different work page.

The challenge is a user can be a manager on one project and a consultant on another project at the same time.

This eliminates standard redirects by group membership.

The only way to tell when a user is a manager or a consultant is know what deal they are working on and in what capacity.

My solution was to put a data view of the deals that also has the users title for that deal.

I have the user pick which deal he wants to work on and your web part uses the title column to send them to the manager web parts or the consultant web parts.

I don’t know how I would have done this redirection without some sort of user input so this seem to be my best solution.

BTW I am doing this without the help of a developer. So everything is ootb and spd.

Thanks for your interest.

Ron Stevens

CodaLogoBlack

Business Process Consultant

SharePoint Consultant

The Coda Group

Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 7:28 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Use Visibility filter without having user make a choice [SPVisibilityFilter:77191]

How are you determining the user's title?  Is it coming from a list view web part acting as a filter?  I'm not sure if that will send the value without a user action.  Could you get the user's title from their profile?

Give some details about what web parts you have on your page, and what order they are in on the page (that matters also).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SPVisibilityFilter@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SPVisibilityFilter@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Hello Joe, is this web part supported going into 2010 or does 2010 have this capability?

Thanks

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM
markmarquis wrote:

Hello Joe, is this web part supported going into 2010 or does 2010 have this capability?

Thanks

I have not seen that 2010 has the capability built in.

Have you tried using this in Sharepoint 2010?  Did you have a problem?

Admittedly, I have been off on some other projects and have not had a chance to even test this web part on 2010.

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Hello Joe, thank you for the reply. I have not tried using in 2010 yet but will be trying soon. I did not have any issues either because I have not tried it yet at all. The reason I needed it was because a specific business group I am working with (internal to my company) has a project site and only wants certain web parts to show up based on vertain parameters. OOB this is not there aside from just a blank web part, thus my search and discovery of your solution. I wil run in sandbox in 2010 and let you know the result. Thank you for the quick reply.